Stephen B. Murphy, MD
Dr. Stephen B. Murphy is a surgeon and medical device inventor, specializing in hip and knee preservation and replacement. Dr. Murphy has more than 30 years’ experience as an orthopedic surgeon and is one of the highest volume hip replacement specialists in the Boston area. A pioneer in the field of computer-assisted joint reconstruction, he holds 45 patents in the fields of implant and instrumentation design and surgical navigation technology. His algorithms are used in surgical navigation systems worldwide.
- Surgical Approach for Hip Replacement
- HipInsight Augmented Reality Guidance
- HipXpert Smart Mechanical Navigation
In addition to being a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS), the American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons, and the Hip Society, Dr. Murphy is a past president of the International Society for Computer-Assisted Orthopedic Surgery (CAOS) and the International Society for Technology in Arthroplasty (ISTA).
Among other awards and accolades, Dr. Murphy has received the Maurice E. Muller Award for Excellence in Computer-Assisted Orthopedic Surgery from CAOS and the John Charnley Award from the Hip Society as senior author on economic research.
- Designed implants and surgical instruments
- Developed new surgical techniques
- First to publish about femoroacetabular impingement
- Inventor of the “supercap”, superior capsulotomy minimally invasive method for hip arthroplasty
- Co-inventor of the “superpath”
- Published an extensive collection of articles and abstracts
- Been a coveted lecturer for over 4 decades